Tour F - Lakeland Ancient History - Full Day
10 Lakes and Tarns, Stone Circles, Ancient Crosses
- Stone Circles @ Castlerigg, Swinside and Kinniside
- 9th and 10th Century Anglian and Norse Crosses and Hogback Viking Tombstones
- Beautiful Duddon valley and Eskdale
- Wasdale valley and Wastwater - England’s deepest lake
- Loweswater, Crummock Water and Buttermere
- Honister Pass and descent into Borrowdale valley
- Pub lunch and optional early evening meal
This spectacular tour combines beautiful Lakeland scenery with ancient history visiting 3 stone circles, Anglian and Viking stone crosses, rugged Wastwater and Wasdale with optional walk to a remote Bronze Age settlement perched on the fells.
The walk to the lost city of Barnscar starts and finishes at Devoke Water and enables visitors to take in the secluded location of this ancient early settlement.
However, please note that although burial mounds and cairns are visible before the onset of summer bracen; there are no other visible remnants of the settlement.
Pub lunch and optional early evening meal at the renowned Kirkstile Inn @ Loweswater - particularly appetising if you include the walk to the site of the ancient settlement at Barnscar.
Tour highlights captured on complimentary CD
This tour can include an optional visit to Hardknott Roman Fort.
Evening meal at a traditional Lakeland Inn.
The walk to the ancient fellside settlement of Barnscar requires a reasonable level of physical fitness and is not suitable for families with young children.
Click here to download a PDF information sheet about this tour
|Prices from £65.00|
Child under 12
Prices from £45.00
Evening meal - £15.00 pp